quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Odd, odd admin console bug

From: Richard Kolb <rjdkolb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:43:48 +0200

Hi Laird

On 11 November 2010 23:13, Laird Nelson <ljnelson_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know if this is just my machine and I can't afford to have it die
> again, so could others please try this little sequence, particularly those
> on MacBooks?
>
> 1. Install build 28.
> 2. Go to the Update Tools (or Update Center, whatever it's called) item
> at the bottom of the left nav tree.
> 3. (I browsed around in the first tab that came up.)
> 4. Click the Available Updates tab
> 5. In my case, the Processing... lightbox came up and hung there. The
> log file was clean.
>
> Then--and here's the bizarre part--I reloaded http://localhost:4848 in
> that same browser tab, and my Mac crashed. Which has never happened
> before. :-)

:)

> Firefox 3.6.12. The crash seemed to my uneducated eyes to be graphics
> related: it was preceded by a slow graying of the entire screen. I'm
> suspecting that the lightbox had something to do with it.
>
> I've filed a bug on this, of course, but I want to see if it's reproducible
> outside of my machine.

Reminds me of an issue on Windows XP years ago.
My client phoned me and said when he close my app (Swing app) , he got a
BSOD.

It turned out that swing did some direct 3d shutdown on close and his ATI
driver (signed by Microsoft) had a bug that caused a stack overflow in the
kernel.
I am guessing something similar.
The workaround was update the driver or set some strange flag when starting
the swing app. Obviously that won't help in your case.

Quite a few of the Oracle guys run Mac as I recall.
Maybe they can try reproduce.

regards
Richard.