quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Deployment of our JEE 5 app on GFv3.1

From: Hong Zhang <hong.hz.zhang_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:38:12 -0400

>> Yes, WEB-INF/lib is where the war libraries should be located. This part is
>> defined by the Servlet spec and did not change.
>> The main change was the ear root level libraries, the spec clearly defines the
>> ear library directory for this type of libraries and we should follow the spec.
>>

> Just one more thing that crossed my mind. Isn't GlassFish v3 supposed to
> be backward compatible with JEE 5? By the looks of it, it's not since I
> need to modify my ear to be compliant with JEE 6.

That's what the "compatibility" property is for. :-) And this is for the
product backward compatibility, not for the spec backward compatibility.
This behavior was undefined in the spec before.

These were the two options:

1. Use the original ear as it is:
asadmin deploy --property compatibility=v2 foo.ear

2. Repackage the application to be a spec conformed way so it's
guaranteed to run on all spec compliant servers.

- Hong