quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 09:15:24 +0200

Hi Vladimir, *;

[target groups]
> kind of solid perspective to the discussion.Only problem is that some
> part of it should be more polished and connected in some way with
> other parts and then put to vision/policy kind of document. Without
> it much of value will be lost.At this stage I will try to cut down on
> things related to comparing different business models and similar
> stuff.

Yes, definitely, especially as far as "vision" is concerned. This, by
now, was just a rather rough draft, mainly for myself to be honest, in
order to get me sorted in what we actually are talking about, and
eventually providing a first step towards evaluating what FishCAT can
do and what might be beyond its scope. :)

[...]
> with some kind of approaches could bad idea itself :) You know I'm
> reading several blogs with orientation to how to do online business
> and several times I read how important to see things from point of
> resolving problem. The main idea was that if you can resolve the
> other people problems you will have a big influence on them. The
> following quote from internet should illustrated my point: “the most
> important thing is that freelancers should view themselves as
> solution providers instead of just service providers.”

Indeed. But talking about the vision / limitation evaluation, I wonder
whether FishCAT in itself will be a "business" of its own by any
chance? Will FishCAT, embedded into the development (and marketing /
sales) process of GlassFish application server, actually even remotely
qualify as something akin to a "business entity"? I think tackling this
question is rather interesting - are "we" more or less an entity of our
own, which is likely to achieve its own objectives, or are we, indeed,
just a "solution provider" mainly in the GlassFish context? I think
this partially is a decision we have to make, partially it is a
decision Oracle as driving force behind GlassFish will have prepared
for us. :)

> We also should be solution provider to the various groups that
> Kristian has tried to classified.That is one of the reason why it
> makes sense to do the groups table.

Indeed. Let's see where this will get us. :)

Enjoy your Friday (or whatever is left of it in your time zones...:) ;)
K.

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden