quality@glassfish.java.net

RE: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:51:04 +0000

Hi Judy,
>I like this idea very much.

I'm glad you do! Maybe it's more solid ground to start build something as team :)
>- Community help to test different frameworks and applications>- Create test framework that community can contribute tests for the bugs they filed
I'm sure Richard can use your sentences in time of negotiation with Glassfish team :)
Sincerely,Vladimir
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:49:00 -0700
From: judy.j.tang_at_oracle.com
To: quality_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
Subject: Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

“What about if we will organize some kind of infrastructure that will
make the process of testing more efficient and effortless.”

I like this idea very much. From reading Vladimir list, from talking
with Richard, and from past experience, I think the

following two things can be very helpful:

- Community help to test different frameworks and applications

- Create test framework that community can contribute tests for the
bugs they filed

Vladimir Perlov wrote:

  Hi
Richard,
>We would almost need a buy in from the GlassFish team to
help award 'Dukes'.
>So we need to spin it a bit for them and make them feel like their
life is going to be better. Which it will be :)

  Sorry, that I didn't try before to think about it hard.
  What about if we will organize some kind of infrastructure that
will make the process of testing more efficient and effortless.

  Ideas:
  All testing applications keep in database for easy handling.
  Automatically define technologies, frameworks and general
libraries used in the application in the moment of registration it.
  Automatically migrate all testing applications to current
testing build.
  Readable and flowing logging output to see clearly what is going
on with application. In similar fashion as in "netbeans" IDE.
  Possibility on the fly to change the source code of the
application without needs to redeploy it using internet browser.
  Easy way to create and publish database resources that will be
used by testing applications.
  Register all active issues presented in the application and
bookmark them in source code. That should allow them to appears in
debug mode. The main requirement here is to establish debug mode using
internet browser.
  Dynamically switch between different sql servers without
stopping the application. That possible in case if Glassfish will be
able to redefine on the fly values of JDBC resources without
requirement to restart server or redeploy the application.
  Create really interesting and useful application that will get
popularity among developers. After creating the showcases provide the
easy way to use them by developers from community.
  Every exception that happened with the applications running on
the community server should be automatically registered and
notification mechanism should be in the place. This information will be
useful in the process of prioritization issues.
  Start creating online developer environment to support the
concept on the fly testing.

  It's late now and the ideas above are not very polished but
probably are useful enough to be as start points.

  Good luck,
  Vladimir

  Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:02:52 +0200

From: rjdkolb_at_gmail.com

To: quality_at_glassfish.dev.java.net

Hi Vladimir

  On 25 June 2010 22:32, Vladimir Perlov <vladperl_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Richard plan to send out a survey form to collect input.

    Is it possible to organize survey directed to Glassfish team?

What sort of questions would you ask ?

We would almost need a buy in from the GlassFish team to help award
'Dukes'.

So we need to spin it a bit for them and make them feel like their life
is going to be better. Which it will be :)

regards

Richard.

  The New Busy think 9 to 5 is a cute idea. Combine multiple
calendars with Hotmail. Get busy.