quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:30:08 +0200

Hi Richard, *;

Am Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:32:19 +0200
schrieb Richard Kolb <rjdkolb_at_gmail.com>:
> Yes, it is really great to have contract with the GlassFish
> developers. They are really professional and willing to listen.

Indeed. This is what I generally tend to sell as the main argument for
open source: Developers are available, at least to some degree - you
can make a change, even being "just" an arbitrary user/tester willing
to provide a bit of feedback. Talking motivation again. ;) I really see
a bunch of people in "open source" who actually would like to
contribute back something meaningful but hesitate doing so due to lack
of "coding experience". Doing tests (and be that simple
"click-through-an-installer" tests) is something anyone can do... :)

> I think previously FishCAT testing was basically, run off guys and
> tell us if you see anything strange. This is needed of course.
> But I would like to start some directed testing as well.
> So a FishCAT can request to test that a specific bug has been fixed.
> An extra pair of eyes helps the GlassFish developers for example.
> Or test a specific feature.

Definitely. It does make things more "predictable". I think indeed it's
a matter of balance - having a broad user/tester base running out just
to see what pitfalls they run into, and having a more
"specialized"(?)/focused set of people trying to do, in example, as you
pointed out, testing whether an issue has actually been fixed, a
feature has been added, ... .

> The _good_ part is imperative, and yes, perhaps we can start a best
> practices like so many other open source projects.
> e.g. Before a issue is filed , ask about it on the GlassFish user
> mailing list. etc.

Yes. This is a matter of ceremony indeed, and of making people aware of
such a process. Given a rather good climate of communication out here,
I guess this should not be all too difficult to achieve. ;)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden