quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request for comments : FishCAT, the way forward

From: Kristian Rink <rink_at_planconnect.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:11:36 +0200

Folks;

Am Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:02:26 +0200
schrieb Richard Kolb <rjdkolb_at_dev.java.net>:
> > In my opinion FishCat points don't provide any serious level of
> > motivation.
> > I would say this kind of motivation could works only in
> > kindergarten :)
>
> lol, you are right. My 18 month old daughter gets stickers ;-)

:]

> Yes, I do understand and I think you make some good points.
> And let's go into more detail ; perhaps we/you can write an official
> proposal to the powers that be.
> If we can prove return on investment , we have a winner I think.

Indeed, and this will be rather difficult in my opinion. And,
eventually, the kind of "reward" making things interesting to
users/testers might drastically differ. In example, in my special case,
FishCAT is pretty attractive not because its points/scoring system or
some public attention to achieve, but rather because I can provide
feedback on issues that nag me once in a while and I have a more
"straight connection" to people who could eventually hear me and change
these things rather than just posting to an end-user mailing list to
wait for something to happen...

In my opinion, I think rewards based upon activity are a double-edged
sword. On one side, of course, providing people with some return for
doing something is good. On the other side however, providing people
with "reward" for quantity of bugs filed doesn't seem a smart idea as
it doesn't say anything about quality of bug filed (duplicates, simple
misconfiguration issues, ...). In my testing of gfv3, I didn't really
run into any serious issues worth reporting so I don't get points for
filing any. Should a testing reward motivate people to file "much", or
should it motivate to provide _good_ feedback? :)

> > In the past I had a brief discussion with Judy regarding this topic
> > and she was supportive on this. But that time Oracle was taking
> > over Sun Microsystem and it wasn't very appropriate time to go
> > further with it. Now I see again some understanding that people
> > need to be motivated to do some testing so I'm bringing it up.
>
> Yes, motivation is the key here and not an easy topic at all. :)

I trust in the idea of growing a lot of motivation out of enthusiasm -
for a technology, for a project, for a community. Asides anything else,
Sun did _rather_ good at that, looking at the various communities that
used to exist. Hope Oracle will keep this up. ;)

K.

--
Dipl.-Ing.(BA) Kristian Rink * Software- und Systemingenieur
planConnect GmbH * Könneritzstr. 33 * 01067 Dresden