quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Review of v3 Upgrade Guide

From: Mitesh Meswani <Mitesh.Meswani_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:19:14 -0800

Kim Haase wrote:
Hello,

The v3 Upgrade Guide (formerly the Upgrade and Migration Guide) is available for review at

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=UpgradeAndMigrationGuide

The book has been reviewed by the Upgrade Tool engineer, but we need help from the rest of you to identify incompatibilities between v2 and v3 applications that users are likely to encounter.

Particular areas of concern are application clients (about which we say something) and persistence (about which we say nothing so far). It appears from some experimentation that even with the compatibility property set to v2, users still have to provide a persistence.xml file that specifies EclipseLink instead of TopLink in order for applications deployed on v3 to run. Is this correct?
A JavaEE app that used container managed EM/EMF should work transparently with V3. What kind of app you used in your experiments and what issues are you seeing?

We should definitely mention following in the guide.
  1. If an app is using JavaSE style to create EMF. That is it calls Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory(...), the app will need to be change the provider name to point to EclipseLink (org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider) and rename any property supplied to "eclipselink.*" from
    "toplink.*"
  2. If user is using any Toplink specific code in his app and hence has cast to oracle.toplink.* in his code, the code will need to change to use org.eclipse.persitence.*.  Tool mentioned here can help with the process. Please note that we do not ship the tool with GlassFish.
Thanks,
Mitesh

What other problems are possible? Please let me know by *Tuesday, December 1, 2009.* As Dixie said, email, the comments wiki, or phone are fine. I'm in Massachusetts, so other methods work less well for most of you.

Thank you very much.

Kim Haase
x20747