quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: About Editing Pool Settings from GUI (V3 b70)

From: Anissa Lam <Anissa.Lam_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:39:04 -0700
Hi Wu Jie,
Thanks for trying out this functionality in GUI.   Please see comments inline.

Wu Jie wrote:
Hi Judy

When I edited the  Pool Settings  I found sth strange following.

1.About default value of Pool Settings in EJB setting
  The original Pool Settings in GUI are following.
  =====================================
  Initial and Minimum Pool Size: 0
  Maximum Pool Size: 32
  Pool Resize Quantity: 8
  =====================================

  When I click [Load Defaults] button, the setting changed as below.
  =====================================
  Initial and Minimum Pool Size: 16
  Maximum Pool Size: 64
  Pool Resize Quantity: 16
  =====================================

  The style above shows that the original values are different
  from default values of pool settings. Why?
Looks like the pool settings for the ejb container in the domain template is different than the default value.   Please file a bug agains "ejb" so the team can take a look and decide if thats by design or just overlook.

  I found the styles of pool seetings of MDB and EJB are the same.
  but they are different from the following settings
  ・EJB Cache Setting,
  ・JDBC Connection Pool
  ・Connectot Connection Pool
  The original value and default value of the three settings above
  are the same.

  I think it is better to unify the design of the settings above.

Agree,  Please also mention this in the bug report.   thanks
2.About the contents of domain.xml
  When use default value for Pool Settings, the setting value is
  not written in the domain.xml. Why?

In v3,  default values are no longer written out in domain.xml.   This helps trimming the domain.xml tremendously and make it more 'readable' if one decides to look at that.   Here is also another reason that  Jerome gave back in Aug 2008 when this was implemented.

"the main problem with writing out the default value in the domain.xml is that if we decide that the default value should be changed between releases *and* we are dealing with an upgrade scenario then the user would retain the previous default value which was clearly not his intent."

Hope this answer your questions.
thanks
anissa
Thanks