quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: About Editing Pool Settings from GUI (V3 b70)

From: Wu Jie <wujie_at_cn.fujitsu.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:59:13 +0900

Hi anissa

Thanks for you reply.
> Looks like the pool settings for the ejb container in the domain
> template is different than the default value. Please file a bug agains
> "ejb" so the team can take a look and decide if thats by design or just
> overlook.

I filed issue #10687.

> In v3, default values are no longer written out in domain.xml. This
> helps trimming the domain.xml tremendously and make it more 'readable'
> if one decides to look at that. Here is also another reason that
> Jerome gave back in Aug 2008 when this was implemented.
>
> /"the main problem with writing out the default value in the domain.xml
> is that if we decide that the default value should be changed between
> releases *and* we are dealing with an upgrade scenario then the user
> would retain the previous default value which was clearly not his intent."
> /

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I clear!

Thanks
-Wu

Anissa Lam さんは書きました:
> Hi Wu Jie,
> Thanks for trying out this functionality in GUI. Please see comments
> inline.
>
> Wu Jie wrote:
>> Hi Judy
>>
>> When I edited the Pool Settings I found sth strange following.
>>
>> 1.About default value of Pool Settings in EJB setting
>> The original Pool Settings in GUI are following.
>> =====================================
>> Initial and Minimum Pool Size: 0
>> Maximum Pool Size: 32
>> Pool Resize Quantity: 8
>> =====================================
>>
>> When I click [Load Defaults] button, the setting changed as below.
>> =====================================
>> Initial and Minimum Pool Size: 16
>> Maximum Pool Size: 64
>> Pool Resize Quantity: 16
>> =====================================
>>
>> The style above shows that the original values are different
>> from default values of pool settings. Why?
> Looks like the pool settings for the ejb container in the domain
> template is different than the default value. Please file a bug agains
> "ejb" so the team can take a look and decide if thats by design or just
> overlook.
>
>> I found the styles of pool seetings of MDB and EJB are the same.
>> but they are different from the following settings
>> ・EJB Cache Setting,
>> ・JDBC Connection Pool
>> ・Connectot Connection Pool
>> The original value and default value of the three settings above
>> are the same.
>>
>> I think it is better to unify the design of the settings above.
>>
> Agree, Please also mention this in the bug report. thanks
>> 2.About the contents of domain.xml
>> When use default value for Pool Settings, the setting value is
>> not written in the domain.xml. Why?
>>

> In v3, default values are no longer written out in domain.xml. This
> helps trimming the domain.xml tremendously and make it more 'readable'
> if one decides to look at that. Here is also another reason that
> Jerome gave back in Aug 2008 when this was implemented.
>
> /"the main problem with writing out the default value in the domain.xml
> is that if we decide that the default value should be changed between
> releases *and* we are dealing with an upgrade scenario then the user
> would retain the previous default value which was clearly not his intent."
> /
> Hope this answer your questions.
> thanks
> anissa
> //
>> Thanks
>> -Wu

> additional commands, e-mail: quality-help_at_glassfish.dev.java.net

 Wu Jie
 Development Dept.II
 Nanjing Fujitsu Nanda Software Tech. Co., Ltd.(FNST)
 8/F., Civil Defense Building, No.189 Guangzhou Road,
 Nanjing, 210029, China
 TEL: +86+25-86630566-956
 COINS: 79955-956
 FAX: +86+25-83317685
 Mail: wujie_at_cn.fujitsu.com
 This communication is for use by the intended recipient(s) only and may
 contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
 disclosure under applicable law. If you are not an intended recipient of
 this communication, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
 distribution or copying hereof is strictly prohibited. If you have
 received this communication in error, please notify me by reply e-mail,
 permanently delete this communication from your system, and destroy any
 hard copies you may have printed.