quality@glassfish.java.net

Installer for V3

From: Julien Ponge <julien.ponge_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 17:13:13 +0200

Hi everyone,

Today I worked on preparing an IzPack-based installer for Glassfish v3.

I started by deriving from the work I did for v2, took the latest
promoted build and tuned it. The result is that:

   1. the installer is able to bootstrap the update center (even behind a proxy)
   2. Glassfish v3 can be started after having been installed (amazingly fast!)
   3. the installer weights several megabytes less than the "official"
platform-specific installers (and should I mention that IzPack IS
cross-platform?)

Remember that this is only a few hours of work and that I could not
test it properly on something else than Mac OS X 10.4, … but you
should reasonably expect it to work.

The installer is available from
http://snapshots.dist.codehaus.org/izpack/glassfish-v3-latest-install.jar

There is also a Pack200-compressed one (only 15M!) at
http://snapshots.dist.codehaus.org/izpack/glassfish-v3-latest-install-pack200.jar,
but Glassfish doesn't start properly. I uploaded it so that it can be
investigated where the issue actually is (Felix? a GF component?).

Anyway thanks for reporting any issue you might encounter. I expect to
improve it further in the future. Especially, interacting with the
update center after it has been bootstrapped would be useful (e.g.,
for installing third-party modules straight from the installer).

Cheers

--
http://izpack.org/
http://jpz-log.info/