quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Installation idea

From: Adam Bien <abien_at_adam-bien.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:06:42 +0200

Kristian Rink schrieb:
> Adam Bien schrieb:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Glassfish v3 could improve the installation experience as well adding
>> WebStart support with the possibility of preselecting "interesting"
>> modules. There is already a great example available:
>> https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/OverviewOfTheQuickSetupTool
>>
>> This would differentiate glassfish from others and make the installation
>> process more convenient,
>>

> And it would provide a "homogenous" environment also compared to OpenDS (and
> maybe other infrastructure applications - OpenESB, ...) one day?

Absolutely.
> And still, I would like this as an addition, but I wouldn't want to miss the
> ability to, like now done with NetBeans or Glassfishv2, have an
> "all-included" .zip file to be pulled off some server, unzipped, maybe even
> set up using ant and then started, knowing that I actually, at the very
> least, do have everything I need in this regard to get work done. Maybe this
> is a requirement of mine rather "special", but given I more than once have
> to deal with this kind of software in environments in which internet
> connectivity ain't permanently available, having an "all-inclusive" bundle
> of which to easily kick out un-needed stuff eventually seems more appealing
> than having applications requiring connectivity to get started... :)

All inclusive bundle is even more important. The JNLP installation is
just an additional idea - but it is good for the adoption.
I even installed openDS in some trainings with JNLP - without that it
would be lot harder.

--
 Consultant, Author, Java Champion

 Homepage: www.adam-bien.com
 Weblog: blog.adam-bien.com
 eMail:  abien_at_adam-bien.com
 Mobile: 0049(0)170 280 3144
 Books: Enterprise Architekturen (ISBN: 393504299X),
        Java EE 5 Architekturen  (ISBN: 3939084247),
        J2EE Patterns, J2EE Hotspots, Enterprise Frameworks and Struts