quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Some Tests With Netbeans]]

From: Peter Williams <Pete.Williams_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:27:47 -0700

Adam Bien wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> "...direct ejb project support will be in NB 7.0. ..."
>
> this is in my opinion for many projects not acceptable. I'm using
> Netbeans 6.0 with direct EJB support and GF v2 at least in 5
> (concurrent) projects for bigger companies in Germany / Europe. Some
> of the projects are Netbeans RCP / Eclipse RCP based - without web layer.
We discussed EJB to some degree when planning V3 plugin features for
NetBeans 6.5. Resources and development schedule for NetBeans 6.5 were
very tight and the EJB container is planned to be only alpha quality
when GlassFish V3 Prelude is released (while the web container is going
to be FCS quality and supported).

So, since nicely exposing optional downloadable server features in
NetBeans was a new feature that we didn't have sufficient time to get
right, we opted to disable EJB module support entirely.

Enabling EJB module support in the V3 plugin is actually just a few
lines of code. It occurred to me this afternoon that I could add a
checkbox to the V3 server properties panel in NetBeans that would allow
you to enable this, assuming you'd already manually installed the ejb
container via update center. e.g. something like this:

    [ ] Enable support for EJB Modules - experimental. (Warning: must
manually install ejb container via Update Center)

Or something like that. Default this to off and if you enable it you
get a message box telling you that it's experimental and to download the
container (if not already there), hit ok, and you're off.

What do you think? Would this be helpful?

-Peter