persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: how to configure different orm.xml files again

From: Johannes Hoehne <rt30_at_retail-sc.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:02:47 +0100

Yes indeed I did. But this is a very redundant way because nearly every
thing is identical but the schema name in the server specific orm.xml
file.

Johannes Höhne
P Please consider the environmental impact of needlessly printing this
e-mail.

Gordon Yorke <gordon.yorke_at_oracle.com>
08.01.2008 15:27
Please respond to
persistence_at_glassfish.dev.java.net

persistence_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
cc

Subject
Re: how to configure different orm.xml files again

Have you considered configuring multiple Persistence Units and using the
system property to choose a Persistent Unit instead of configuration file?
-Gordon

Johannes Hoehne wrote:

Hi

> Basically
> what I suggest is to build different ear files for the different
database
> schema's. I'm sure you looked into this and discarded this option.

This is the way we did it before. But than we implemented a mechanism
which is able to use the right configuration file (for the server) out of
a bundle. I think this is a good thing because you deploy exactly that EAR
on prod which you tested before. I don't think that my boss will put aside
this strategy.

Johannes Hoehne

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 09:32:54AM +0100, Johannes Hoehne wrote:
> We use the same EAR file for different EJB servers. Each server uses a
> different data base schema. As it is no problem to use different
databases with
> no extra configuration (different targets of the JNDI name) it is not
possible
> to use different schemes. At the moment we tell the server by system
property
> the name of the configuration file of our (old fashion) persistence
framework.
> So we can deploy all the different configuration files within one EAR.
> So far so good but we want to use JPA now. Is there any possibility to
redirect
> the file name of the orm.xml. Maybe be an (JNDI) property in the
ebj-jar.xml?

> Last time I got the answer to inspect the tutorials and examples Of
course I
> did this before I wrote this mail. I wasn't able to find a solution of
my
> problem. So please help:)

A while back I looked into JBoss Seam and they have a few examples that
can be
deployed on different app servers. The reason I bring this up is that they
had
an elegant way to include config files for the different app servers in
their
ear files. Basically they included an ant script that builds different ear
files
for different app servers including the config files for the specific app
server
they are building the ear for. Not sure if that is an option for you.
Basically
what I suggest is to build different ear files for the different database
schema's. I'm sure you looked into this and discarded this option. But I
thought
I'd bring it up anyway :-)

HTH, Wouter van Reeven

--
People: "If she weighs the same as a Duck, she's made of wood!"
Sir Bedevere: "And therefore...?"