persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: Re1: Re1: Code review for: [Issue 1107] Logger defined by a property doesn't work]

From: Marina Vatkina <Marina.Vatkina_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:34:01 -0700

Andrei,

I think we are very close to solving this case, even if at the end
of the day I just agree with your solution (at least we will cover
all technical issues) ;).

Andrei Ilitchev wrote On 10/23/06 14:03,:
> Marina,
>
> It's going too far back, we probably need to separate these two issues
> (logging and deploy/undeploy), they are pretty much orthogonal.
>
> Here I am going to concentrate on deploy/undeploy.
> My goal will be to try providing a convincing proof why is my fix is better
> than yours.
>
> First goes a non-technical line: there are (somewhat obscure) JSE use cases
> envolving multiple emFactories, the original deploy/undeploy solution (which
> my fix supports) has been tested for all of those. Is there any reason to
> take a risk of breaking those?

No, unless a technical discussion proves otherwise.

> Now technical stuff.
> I am assuming that your fix (as per issue_1107_2.jar) has the same code as
> our current code in EntityManagerFactoryImpl.close method:
> public synchronized void close(){
> verifyOpen();
> isOpen = false;
> if(serverSession != null) {
> setupImpl.undeploy();
> }
> }

No, my code in issue_1107_2.jar is different (and that was one of your
concerns):

    public synchronized void close(){
        verifyOpen();
        isOpen = false;
        setupImpl.undeploy();
    }

> In this case the differences between your fix and my are all in
> EntityManagerSetupImpl class.
> There are two differences:
> 1. Diff #1:
> in undeploy method you suggest
> if(session == null) {
> return;
> }
> I suggest
> if(state != STATE_DEPLOYED) {
> return;
> }
>
> There is no operational difference between these two versions - as long (as
> EntityManagerFactoryImpl.close method checks for non-null session),
> but I (surprise!) still like my version better because it follows a simple
> logic - emSetupImpl could be undeployed only if it has been deployed
> (otherwise undeploy is noop).

So in my version, the EMFImpl doesn't check anything, but delegates to the
EMSetupImpl to do the checks.

Note: my version in EMSetupImpl need to be adjusted for 'deploymentCount--' as
suggested by Wonseok to be:

        if(state == STATE_DEPLOYED){
            deploymentCount--;
        }

> 2. Diff #2 (much more important than #1):
> addSessionToGlobalSessionManager method in your version is called from
> setServerSessionName (which is called from predeploy);
> in my version addSessionToGlobalSessionManager is called from
> initServerSession (which is called from deploy).
>
> The difference is that your version sets the session into SessionManager in
> predeploy; mine in deploy.
> Your version breaks a simple patter that mine follows: session is in the
> SessionManaged if and only if emSetupImpl is deployed.
>
> Let's consider the following simple scenario:
> factory1 = createContainerEMF("my", prop);
> factory.close();
> factory2 = createContainerEMF("my", prop);
>
> In my version session will never make it to SessionManager;
> in your version it will be there forever after factory1 is created;
> creation of factory2 will throw an exception
> (attemptedRedeployWithoutClose).

In my version, it goes through. The difference is in 'factory.close()' -
in your version it's a no-op, in mine, it's a real close.

thanks,
-marina