persistence@glassfish.java.net

Re: Re1: Re1: Code review for: [Issue 1107] Logger defined by a property doesn't work]

From: Andrei Ilitchev <andrei.ilitchev_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:03:22 -0400

Marina,

It's going too far back, we probably need to separate these two issues
(logging and deploy/undeploy), they are pretty much orthogonal.

Here I am going to concentrate on deploy/undeploy.
My goal will be to try providing a convincing proof why is my fix is better
than yours.

First goes a non-technical line: there are (somewhat obscure) JSE use cases
envolving multiple emFactories, the original deploy/undeploy solution (which
my fix supports) has been tested for all of those. Is there any reason to
take a risk of breaking those?

Now technical stuff.
I am assuming that your fix (as per issue_1107_2.jar) has the same code as
our current code in EntityManagerFactoryImpl.close method:
 public synchronized void close(){
        verifyOpen();
        isOpen = false;
        if(serverSession != null) {
            setupImpl.undeploy();
        }
    }

In this case the differences between your fix and my are all in
EntityManagerSetupImpl class.
There are two differences:
1. Diff #1:
in undeploy method you suggest
        if(session == null) {
            return;
        }
I suggest
        if(state != STATE_DEPLOYED) {
            return;
        }

There is no operational difference between these two versions - as long (as
EntityManagerFactoryImpl.close method checks for non-null session),
but I (surprise!) still like my version better because it follows a simple
logic - emSetupImpl could be undeployed only if it has been deployed
(otherwise undeploy is noop).

2. Diff #2 (much more important than #1):
addSessionToGlobalSessionManager method in your version is called from
setServerSessionName (which is called from predeploy);
in my version addSessionToGlobalSessionManager is called from
initServerSession (which is called from deploy).

The difference is that your version sets the session into SessionManager in
predeploy; mine in deploy.
Your version breaks a simple patter that mine follows: session is in the
SessionManaged if and only if emSetupImpl is deployed.

Let's consider the following simple scenario:
  factory1 = createContainerEMF("my", prop);
  factory.close();
  factory2 = createContainerEMF("my", prop);

In my version session will never make it to SessionManager;
in your version it will be there forever after factory1 is created;
creation of factory2 will throw an exception
(attemptedRedeployWithoutClose).

Thanks,

Andrei