persistence@glassfish.java.net

Version updates in TopLink

From: Marina Vatkina <Marina.Vatkina_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:36:42 -0700

Tom,

The version message printed by TopLink code is very useful to identify build
number (at least approx) without asking the user (when it's available of course
in the user's message). But I have some concerns about the process of
constructing this information.

Does every checkin by you or your team updates values in the Version class?
If yes, we have a problem as we don't do it on our side. If no, when do you
choose to make the updates?

Can we switch to a dynamic solution instead?

In old cmp days we had such dynamic solution that now seems to populate the
date only (which can be good enough). The idea is to have a template file that
is part of the source tree, which at the build time is automatically converted
to a .properties file with whatever necessary substitutions are being done by
the build.xml (see "sys-properties-prepare" in cmp/support/sqlstore/build.xml).
Then the code reads the file on startup and populates static fields to be used
by the rest of the runtime.

Do you see a problem with this solution?

thanks,
-marina