dev@glassfish.java.net

Glassfish v3.1 logging at server shutdown

From: Joseph Fialli <joe.fialli_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 14:37:32 -0400

  Before filing a bug on this, I wanted to see if this issue is already
known about or considered a desirable behavior and it is behaving as
designed.

While working on some GMS issues reported by QE, I have noticed that in
Glassfish v3.1 server.log , the last log message is always the following.

[#|2010-09-08T10:26:07.275-0400|INFO|glassfish3.1|javax.enterprise.system.tools.admin.com.sun.enterprise.v3.admin.cluster|_ThreadID=16;_ThreadName=Thread-1;|Server
shutdown initiated|#]

The above log message occurs BEFORE the glassfish api listener that gms
registered for receives a SERVER_SHUTDOWN event.
I was unable to see GMS log messages that help diagnose that shutdown is
clean (and that shutdown was not premature and
before GMS was able to process all outstanding GMS notifications.)

I do know that the registered gms listener is getting called correctly
since the instance is sending a message to DAS before shutdown
letting the DAS know it is shutting done. So my conclusion is that
logging is terminated quite early in the shutdown cycle, and all
submodules shutting down after logging have no logging facilities to log
with.

-Joe