dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: how to get my module in the modules dir

From: Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic <snjezana.sevozenzerovic_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 12:55:32 -0700

Please see inline, I was just about to reply to the previous message so
you beat me to it...

Bobby Bissett wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2010, at 3:19 PM, Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic wrote:
>>
>> We planned to have dedicated IPS package for Shoal content, so I'll
>> create new packager module for these and add them as dependencies -
>> please send me pointer to these two Shoal jars and any existing
>> modules that will depend on them so that I can determine package
>> build sequence and dependencies...
>
> Sounds good. By the way, my build finished and the jars I need showed
> up. So I'm set until you create the IPS package.
Yes, this approach will definitely tide you over until I clean things
up, but that should happen within a day or so. It is my MS2 deliverable
after all :-)

> These are the external ones in the
> http://maven.glassfish.org/content/groups/glassfish repository:
>
> groupId: org.shoal
> artifact ids: shoal-cache and shoal-gms
>
> They're here: http://download.java.net/maven/glassfish/org/shoal/
>
> The version will be the shoal.version property in v3/pom.xml.
> Currently I have it locally as 1.5-SNAPSHOT since we don't know yet
> how to put anything besides a snapshot in there.
This is a problem and you will need to figure out how to publish
versioned shoal artifact and include non-snapshot dependency very fast
since build promotion cannot go through if you use snapshots. Jane will
be on your case - on the other hand, she will probably also be able to
help you with that :-)

Also, you should include shoal as external dependency directly in top
level v3/pom.xml dependency section and then just reference the artifact
without version in gms-adapter/pom.xml.

> The GF package that relies on the shoal-gms artifact is
> v3/cluster/gms-adapter.
>
> One note: the shoal-gms.jar file may be broken up into an api and an
> impl jar later. Will it be hard to redo the IPS packaging then? IOW,
> is it something we can do for you or are we going to runin your day
> unexpectedly?
Once the packager module is in place, you can take care of this sort of
thing yourself - in the worst case scenario you will need to adjust
artifact names in the pom file and I trust you can do that :-)

So, now I need to pick your brain some more since I need to know where
exactly to make the cut in package content boundaries. The whole idea
behind dedicated package for Shoal content was to be able to decouple
it and potentially make it pluggable, i.e. so you could easily remove
the package with Shoal content and replace it with, say, Coherence -
see 3.1 feature PKG-003 as reference...

So, in that scenario, would gms-adapter module work only with Shoal and
you would need another adapter module for Coherence, or would
gms-adapter be generic adapter on GF side and it would work with
multiple frameworks?