dev@glassfish.java.net

Slow Startup time for Glassfish and asadmin on Mac

From: Jason Lee <jason.d.lee_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:48:45 -0500

I am currently plagued and bedeviled by REALLY slow startup times on my
Mac. Glassfish and asadmin take a REALLY long time to start working.
Once they do, they run fine, but the getting there is difficult, which
is really problematic, as I have to restart the server a lot. For
example, take this asadmin invocation:

$ time ./asadmin list-commands

Command list-commands executed successfully.

real 0m30.773s
user 0m0.928s
sys 0m0.123s

As opposed to on my MUCH slower ~6 year old Linux box:

$ time ./asadmin list-commands
Command list-commands executed successfully.

real 0m6.526s
user 0m1.021s
sys 0m0.169s

The only env var I can see that might affect the speed is JAVA_OPTS,
which is set to "-Xmx512m", but clearing that doesn't help. Maven and
other Java-based tools don't seem to be bothered by this. My
environment is Snow Leopard with java full version "1.6.0_20-b02-279".
Plenty of disk and memory available.

Any ideas? This is killing me. :)

--
Jason Lee