dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: source integration question (javahelp)

From: Jane Young <Jane.Young_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 04:45:22 -0700

Bobby Bissett wrote:
>> You don't need to use maven. You can use any tools you like and use
>> ant's "exec" task to invoke them. But you'll need to let me/Terena
>> know what tools are needed to build your module so we can set it up
>> in the build system. You can either note that in
>> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ExternalDependencies or
>> add that in the module xml file.
>
> But I can't do that either since the build.xml file explicitly
> downloads zip files from the web (including a tomcat zip), unzips
> them, and uses those classes at build time. So I can't build the
> dependencies and then use them to build javahelp, which is the intent
> of the instructions.
I don't understand... you mean to build javahelp, you'll need the Apache
Tomcat container?
Let's start with first level dependency and just buid javahelp for now.

Can you list the dependencies that are required to build javahelp here:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ExternalDependencies

and we can determine if we need source for those.

>> Is javahelp in an Sun controlled SCM repository. If it is then
>> there's no need to port the source over to glassfish's svn external
>> repository.
>
> Yes it is, thus my question -- if it weren't in java.net, I'd just
> port the sources. Javahelp can not be built from source, including
> dependencies, unless I change the way it's built. (Or unless we want
> to control some parts of apache.org, heh heh.) But if I can't change
> the way it builds unless I port the sources, right?
That's right. If it's not in java.net or kenai then please port the
sources.
You can change the way it's built. GlassFish v3 build will depend on
the binaries from the source build instead of from an external maven
repository.

HTH,
Jane