dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: source integration question (javahelp)

From: Bobby Bissett <Robert.Bissett_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:44:46 -0400

> Bobby Bissett wrote:
>>> You don't need to use maven. You can use any tools you like and
>>> use ant's "exec" task to invoke them. But you'll need to let me/
>>> Terena know what tools are needed to build your module so we can
>>> set it up in the build system. You can either note that in http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ExternalDependencies
>>> or add that in the module xml file.
>>
>> But I can't do that either since the build.xml file explicitly
>> downloads zip files from the web (including a tomcat zip), unzips
>> them, and uses those classes at build time. So I can't build the
>> dependencies and then use them to build javahelp, which is the
>> intent of the instructions.
> I don't understand... you mean to build javahelp, you'll need the
> Apache Tomcat container?

The javahelp build.xml depends on downloading a specific zip file of
tomcat. To get rid of that, we have to change the way javahelp is
built. I'd send a link to the build.xml, but, well, what's the point
right now? I've included a section of build.xml at the end of the email.

> Let's start with first level dependency and just buid javahelp for
> now.
> Can you list the dependencies that are required to build javahelp
> here: http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ExternalDependencies
>
> and we can determine if we need source for those.

The dependencies are:
http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-5/v5.5.20/bin/apache-tomcat-5.5.20.zip
https://jdic.dev.java.net/files/documents/880/5715/jdic-0.8.4.1-bin-windows.zip

And, as a bonus, there's a note in build.xml saying that if the above
jdic url doesn't work, download manually from another location, add
the zip to a certain directory, and rebuild.

I can't put the above into the format you'd like on the external
dependencies page. :)

>>> Is javahelp in an Sun controlled SCM repository. If it is then
>>> there's no need to port the source over to glassfish's svn
>>> external repository.
>>
>> Yes it is, thus my question -- if it weren't in java.net, I'd just
>> port the sources. Javahelp can not be built from source, including
>> dependencies, unless I change the way it's built. (Or unless we
>> want to control some parts of apache.org, heh heh.) But if I can't
>> change the way it builds unless I port the sources, right?
> That's right. If it's not in java.net or kenai then please port the
> sources. You can change the way it's built. GlassFish v3 build will
> depend on the binaries from the source build instead of from an
> external maven repository.

Let me try asking another way: what if I have to change the way it's
built *and* it's in java.net?

> HTH,

Getting closer. :)

Cheers,
Bobby

p.s. section of build.xml:

     <target name="unpack-jdic-jar" description="Download JDIC Jar"
unless="jdic-jar-present"
             depends="download-jdic-zip">
         <unzip src="${jdic-zip}" dest="${java.io.tmpdir}"/>
         <copy failonerror="true" file="${java.io.tmpdir}/jdic-0.8.4.1-
bin-windows/jdic.jar"
             tofile="${jdic-jar}"/>
     </target>

     <target name="download-jdic-zip" unless="jdic-zip-present">
         <echo>
Downloading JDIC. If you get an error like 'Server redirected too
many times' download it manually from
https://jdic.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentView?documentID=5715&amp;showInfo=true
Then copy the zip file to ${jdic-zip} and re-build
         </echo>
         <get src="https://jdic.dev.java.net/files/documents/880/5715/jdic-0.8.4.1-bin-windows.zip
"
             dest="${jdic-zip}"/>