dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Please review orb-connector/pom.xml (and osgi.bundle) changes

From: Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic <Snjezana.Sevo-Zenzerovic_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 14:35:08 -0700

Ken Cavanaugh wrote:
> Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic wrote:
>> Jerome,
>>
>> AFAIK, glassfish-corba-omgapi is truly necessary (and has always been
>> in the web distribution).
> omgapi is needed in the transaction code even when CORBA is not used.
>> As per my proposal below I think we can move
>> glassfish-corba-orbgeneric module jar to glassfish-corba-omgapi
>> package, revert package reshuffling changes and these two will be
>> only two remaining corba jars in the web distribution.
> I'm OK with combining things if you're OK with renaming them. omgapi
> is a terrible name if that bundle
> also contains orbgeneric. How about glassfish-corba-base?
Yes, naming aspect did cross my mind and it would make sense to rename
the package as the resulst of the content change. Anyway, I'll move
glassfish-corba-orbgeneric to current glassfish-corba-omgapi package now
but I'll target package renaming for the next week's promotion since
package name references are all over the place.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Snjezana
>>

>> Jerome Dochez wrote:
>>> ok so after this shuffling happened, we now have too many corba
>>> related modules in web distribution :
>>>
>>> I can see these two new ones :
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 dochez staff 345264 Oct 21 13:22
>>> glassfish-corba-asm.jar
>>> -rw-r--r-- 1 dochez staff 332683 Oct 21 13:22
>>> glassfish-corba-codegen.jar
>>>
>>> why do we need this in the web distribution,
> For EJB code generation (even when CORBA is not used) to support EJB
> 3. We could move to the
> ASM that is already present in the distro (note that we have 3 copies
> of ASM right now).
> But shouldn't asm-all-repackaged have a non-snapshot version? Right
> now it's 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
> Also note that codegen depends on orbgeneric as well as asm.
>
> Perhaps you want to do something like the following:
>
> * Fold omgapi, codegen, and orbgeneric into (a new bundle) base
> * Fold csiv2, newtimer, and orb into (a slightly larger) orb
> * replace glassfish-corba-asm with asm-all-repackaged
>
> Then you would only have two glassfish-corba bundles: one needed for
> the web distribution,
> and two needed for the glassfish distribution.
I would really appreciate if you could reach a decision on this by the
next week's promotion since it looks like it is going to further affect
IPS package list...