dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Action : SEVERE, WARNING, INFO log messages

From: Sekhar Vajjhala <Sekhar.Vajjhala_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:00:56 -0400

Hi Dies,

Dies Koper wrote:
> Hi Sekhar,
>
> Firstly, I think it's great that you've written this tool and have
> included all modules' message property files in the V3 workspace.
>
> I hope once the color coding, etc. has been sorted out you will share
> this tool with developers from the other projects used in GlassFish
> (Grizzly, OpenMQ, hk2, etc.) to help them check and fix their messages
> too.
I am happy to share the tool. I will follow up.

> As one of the lucky 95% with proper color vision I took a look at your
> posted results.
> I think the good thing about not splitting up the now red and green
> messages is that you don't loose context. Maybe you could use light
> gray for messages with ID (as they're done, they don't need to stand
> out), and normal black for the others?
Not a bad idea. I can make the color for success / failure configurable.

> Secondly, your tool also made a few (potential) bugs in current
> messages visible. I hope the developers will address them as they go
> through them.
>
> For example:
> - "JTS5027.diag1.check.1" should probably be "JTS5027.diag.check.1"
> (diag/cause counter should only be at the end of the key name) to be
> picked up by the log viewer.
The tool will catch such errors. It is enforcing the check and cause
message format described in
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3LoggingMessageFormat
.

> - "pemain.error"'s message has an old product name in it ("Could not
> start S1AS PE 8 Server : {0}"). Old message? Old code?
>
> - "RAR 7014" has space in its ID.
>
> - "RAR 7014" is defined in multiple message bundles. (or maybe the
> same message bundle is stored in multiple modules). Is that intentional?
>
> - " default-jms-host.": This part actually belongs to the previous
> key's message.|
>
> - "LDR5016", "SGMT0232", etc. has same problem as above.
>
> - "mbean.instance_up:ADM1035" probably needs a '=' instead of a ':'.
The tool currenlty flags this an error. But according to the syntax in
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html#load%28java.io.Reader%29
,
it is not an error. I started another thread seeking clarification on
message id format.

> - "registr.delete_org_succeeded" stands out as all previous messages
> start with "registry.".
>
> - "retrieve_client_stub_not_applicable" is the only key with its
> message enclosed in double-quotes.
>
> Great work!

Thanks.