dev@glassfish.java.net

Looking for clarification on message ID syntax

From: Sekhar Vajjhala <Sekhar.Vajjhala_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 12:40:54 -0400

I am looking for clarification on the GlassFish V3 message ID syntax :

To develop the tool (discussed in another thread), I started with the
GlassFish V3 messaging log format described in
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3LoggingMessageFormat
. However, that messaging format is not detailed enough - for
e.g. treatment of white spaces, separator between key value pairs,
line continuations etc. Since we are looking for messages in
LogStrings.properties, one assumption I am making is that the syntax
of the message IDs follows the syntax described in the Java doc for
Properties (
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/Properties.html#load%28java.io.Reader%29
).

Must message ID present in GF V3 resource bundles
comply with the syntax described in the above javadoc ? Or are there
different requirements on the syntax ?

The tool currently checks for some of the syntax described in the
javadoc that I referenced above (and I can add the rest of the checks i.e.
unless there message ID syntax requirements are different from those in
the javadoc).
So the tool will for e.g.

1. flag an error for text of a message id can be split across multiple
lines. e.g.
   sgmt.instancehang_hctimeout=SGMT0232: Instance hang check - The
threshold timeout= {1} specified for server: {0} is l
   ess than the load balancer health checker configured for it. Raising
this timeout to its load balancer health checker va
   lue of {2}.

2. Some messages ids have a white space after = e.g.
   enterprise_util.UNIX.error.0 = UTIL9000: UNIX command completed
successfully.

3. A space betweeen upppercase message id and number. e.g. ( RAR 7014 )
below
   error_reading_connectorservice_elt=RAR 7014: Error reading Connector
Service Element from domain.xml while trying to get
shutdown-timeout-in-seconds value. Continuing wih the default shutdown
timeout value

Sekhar Vajjhala