dev@glassfish.java.net

broken pipe when running asadmin

From: Bobby Bissett <Robert.Bissett_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 17:05:46 -0400

Any ideas how I got myself stuck in this position?

--- begin ---
hostname% ps -ef | grep java
   501 35518 245 0 0:00.00 ttys001 0:00.00 grep java
hostname%
hostname% asadmin start-domain domain1

JVM failed to start: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
Command start-domain failed.
--- end ---

I was trying to start asadmin with Runtime.exec() inside upgrade tool
and was hitting this, but I've exited all java processes and see it
with the command line asadmin now as well. I can then run the server
with "java -jar modules/ [etc]" but trying asadmin gives me the above
error. This is new territory for me, so I'd appreciate any help.

I can use "java -jar glassfish.jar" instead of asadmin easily enough,
but the output is so verbose that I don't want to show anything to the
user. (Ideally I show the welcome message of the process to the user
as it happens, then parse server.log to see if there were any SEVERE
or WARNING level messages and report them to the user).

Thanks,
Bobby