dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Where is CORBA source code for GFv3?

From: Ken Cavanaugh <Ken.Cavanaugh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 10:51:20 -0800

On Mar 5, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Sahoo wrote:

> Ken Cavanaugh wrote:

>>> Which is that? Please send me the URL of the repo that contains
>>> the exact source code used in current GFv3 (b39). I need this for
>>> debugging.
>>
>> I sent that in a previous email: it is
>>
>> http://kenai.com/hg/gf-corba-v3-mirror~staging
>>
> This looks like a generic URL; I was hoping to see a URL containing
> some build number in it. I think GFv3 currently uses CORBA 3.0.0-
> b008, but let's say a previous GFv3 build uses 3.0.0-b007. Where can
> one check out the source for b007 from?

Kenai does not support that. You need to get the required revision
out of Mercurial at this point.
Probably the closest I can get to this is to tag each revision that
corresponds to a release, then
you could clone the repo to the required version. At this point, the
tip is 3.0.0-b008.

>>> I don't see this related to bnd at all. You should put this
>>> information in your project web site and pom.xmls. Better make the
>>> source bundle available next to the binary jar in maven repo just
>>> like GlassFish does, because you do some package renaming as part
>>> of your build and hence, it is not just enough for people to just
>>> check out the sources from a repo; they actually have to build it
>>> which is asking a lot more from someone who is just interested in
>>> debugging a few lines of a few classes.
>>
>> I don't HAVE any pom.xmls, because I don't use maven.
> Every maven artifact has a corresponding pom.xml. Browse your
> artifacts in the maven repo and see what it contains. I am sure you
> can configure the tool you are using to create a better pom.xml.

OK, now I see what you mean. I'll look into this later (no time until
later today).

>> What exactly are you asking for here?
>> A table in the CORBA site that maps released OSGi versions to
>> revisions in the repository?
>>
> No, I am not interested in OSGi versions. Table should map CORBA
> artifact versions to exact source code repository URLs.

Can't do it. Best I can do is to map to tags.

>> I can easily add generation of a source bundle: I just had not
>> thought of that before.
>> Is one bundle that contains all ORB source good enough?
> Yes, that will be good enough (actually better from debugging point
> of view), but how will you distribute this single source bundle?
> That's why I felt you should have a source jar per binary jar and
> make both available in maven repo side by side.

I agree. I'll look into making the release target upload an
appropriate source jar along with the bundles.

Ken.