dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: decision w.r.t. Java class version for GFv3-trunk sources ...

From: Rajiv Mordani <rajiv.mordani_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:01:11 -0800

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
>> An issue might arise when we want to build all of GFv3 including
>> external
>> dependencies from source (read Ubuntu build). In that case, we might
>> need both Java 5, 6 in the PATH and I don't know how maven plugin can
>> take it into account. I think this is mostly handled by using JDK 6
>> javac and using -target as 1.5 for those modules.
>
> I don't think we've tried to enforce any sort of "common build
> environment"
> that encompasses all the independently developed modules that feed into
> GlassFish.

I don't think that the problem is for the separate modules. As I
understand it, there are
some components that reside in the GlassFish svn repo that we want to
enable running with
JDK 5. I am not sure which ones though and hence I asked the question
about the list of modules.

> Is someone maintaining a master set of instructions for how to build,
> from source, *all* the bits that go into GlassFish?
>
>>> If some modules are going to be *designed* to work on JDK 5, they
>>> really
>>> should be built with JDK 5, to make sure no JDK 6 dependencies creep
>>> in.
>>> For example, that's what I'm doing with JavaMail.
>>
>> The decision is largely based on some API not being available on JDK
>> 5. In
>> that case you have to use JDK 6 for building anyway. But let's say I
>> am not
>> using any of the new JDK 6 API (and the language changes from 5->6 are
>> none/small), must I be building using JDK 6 or is building with JDK 5
>> acceptable?
>
> The question isn't whether you happen to be using JDK 6 APIs or not.
> The question is whether you're designing it to only use JDK 5 APIs.
> If you are, then it's better to build with JDK 5.
>
> BTW, so far your list at
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ListOfV3ModulesSupportingJava5Runtime
>
> is empty.
>
> Are *any* modules designed for JDK 5? If not, we have much less to
> worry about.

And specifically any modules that reside in the GlassFish workspace.

- Rajiv