dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: decision w.r.t. Java class version for GFv3-trunk sources ...

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:27:37 -0800

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
> An issue might arise when we want to build all of GFv3 including external
> dependencies from source (read Ubuntu build). In that case, we might
> need both Java 5, 6 in the PATH and I don't know how maven plugin can
> take it into account. I think this is mostly handled by using JDK 6
> javac and using -target as 1.5 for those modules.

I don't think we've tried to enforce any sort of "common build environment"
that encompasses all the independently developed modules that feed into
GlassFish.

Is someone maintaining a master set of instructions for how to build,
from source, *all* the bits that go into GlassFish?

>> If some modules are going to be *designed* to work on JDK 5, they really
>> should be built with JDK 5, to make sure no JDK 6 dependencies creep in.
>> For example, that's what I'm doing with JavaMail.
>
> The decision is largely based on some API not being available on JDK 5. In
> that case you have to use JDK 6 for building anyway. But let's say I am not
> using any of the new JDK 6 API (and the language changes from 5->6 are
> none/small), must I be building using JDK 6 or is building with JDK 5
> acceptable?

The question isn't whether you happen to be using JDK 6 APIs or not.
The question is whether you're designing it to only use JDK 5 APIs.
If you are, then it's better to build with JDK 5.

BTW, so far your list at
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ListOfV3ModulesSupportingJava5Runtime
is empty.

Are *any* modules designed for JDK 5? If not, we have much less to
worry about.