dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: modularization & OSGi

From: V B Kumar Jayanti <Vbkumar.Jayanti_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 15:40:15 +0530

Hi Jerome,

Jerome Dochez wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I just have committed some fixes to remove unwanted dependencies
> between modules and kernel. There should not be any module depending
> on kernel (there is still one but I will fix it later), and if you
> happen to need to import a class located in the kernel module, please
> talk to me first.
>
> I have also seen places when people started using OSGi APIs directly,
> I have said in previous communications, including the engineering
> meeting that I do not want any OSGi API usage in the V3 codebase. The
> simple reason is that we want to have the flexibility to run V3
> without an OSGi runtime (embedded scenario) and we can do that by
> providing a mock-up implementation of the hk2 interfaces which
> provides us with an isolation layer. So all OSGi direct usage should
> be wrapped in an hk2 interface so we can ensure that a mockup
> implementation can be done. We already have external users/companies
> using V3 in such a scenario, it's important we don't break them.
>
> Also I have seen some people editing their pom.xml and adding
> hardcoded version numbers in the dependency list like 10.0-SNAPSHOT
> instead of ${glassfish.version}. this is *really* bad and I will not
> be hunting this time for whoever did this but this is my final
> warning, I will be a lot less accommodating next time. Hardcoding
> version is bad because it will make the job of releasing impossible
> without tweaking those pom.xml.

For the security modules i do not have any hardcoded versions in
dependency list , but almost all security modules have the parent
version hardcoded as in :

<parent>
        <groupId>org.glassfish</groupId>
        <artifactId>glassfish-parent</artifactId>
        <version>10.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
        <relativePath>../pom.xml</relativePath>
 </parent>

When i tried to change the above version to use ${glassfish.version}, i
started getting build failures, is it because the properties from the GF
Parent level module are not imported/visible ?. Do we need to fix these
references to 10.0-SANPSHOT as well ?.

I see that many other modules ex core/kernel also has a similar entry :

<parent>
        <groupId>org.glassfish.core</groupId>
        <artifactId>core</artifactId>
        <version>10.0-SNAPSHOT</version>