dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: SUMMARY of various ways to start/stop the server [Was: Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?]

From: Ludovic Champenois <Ludovic.Champenois_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:04:14 -0700

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
> Sorry for the long thread (it was of course essential),
> but here is the summary as requested by Lance
> and probably wanted by others. I hope this finds some resting place in
> documentation ...
>
> Note, there are two parts, one is starting, other is stopping.
> Also, these are the ways I know of. There could be others.
>
> Way to start the server Benefits/limitations

Hi Kedar.
Nice list.
I guess you are missing the most essential/used way of starting/stopping
servers (refer to the download numbers:-):

1/ Use the NetBeans 6.1 or 6.5 IDE and just deploy an app or debug an
app or profile an app: the IDE will always do the right thing, and it
will work in a single VM for a multitude of locally installed servers:
AS 8.1, 9.0, 9.1, Sailfin, Prelude snapshots or tp2.

2/ Use the Eclipse IDE with the GlassFish plugin installed and deploy a
Java EE app: the server will also start/stop/debug at the right time.

How the client called "asadmin" or the NetBeans or the Eclipse IDE are
doing is just implementation detail for the vast majority of our users...

On Solaris, you are also missing the SMF integration which should be the
official way of starting/stopping services....

As you see, asadmin is not the only way for interaction with GlassFish :-)
Ludo