dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Ludovic Champenois <Ludovic.Champenois_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:37:10 -0700

Bill Shannon wrote:
> Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
>>> I think of "java -jar glassfish.jar" as a simple way to start an
>>> "embedded"
>>> app server.
>> Errr. I don't think "java -jar glassfish.jar" starts app server in an
>> embedded
>> mode.
>
> Think "embedded" at the shell script level. If you're packaging
> GlassFish
> with some larger app you might find it easier to start the server this
> way.
>
>>> For some people it's easier to understand what it does than
>>> the magic that is "asadmin start-domain".
>>
>> For those, we introduced a script named "startserv" that starts the
>> default
>> server and I bet 95% of these users should be happy with it.
>
> You really have something against "java -jar", huh? :-)
>
> Really, it's the same reason people insist on "standalone clients"
> instead
> of app clients. They already know how to control the "java" command, how
> to pass it arguments to configure it, etc., and they just want to be able
> to do that rather than delegate it to some script they don't understand.
>
> Ya, I don't really get it either, but I accept that it's true.

Spawning scripts via java, that start a java command has some issues
related to in/out processing ( password echo, log file content streamed
to an IDE output area,..) and process control (you get the script
process, not the spawned java process).
I can dig into the NetBeans list archive to find more info but this has
caused hell situations at some point of time...

Ludo