dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lopsidedness of domaindir usage?

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:01:30 -0700

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:
>> I think of "java -jar glassfish.jar" as a simple way to start an
>> "embedded"
>> app server.
> Errr. I don't think "java -jar glassfish.jar" starts app server in an
> embedded
> mode.

Think "embedded" at the shell script level. If you're packaging GlassFish
with some larger app you might find it easier to start the server this
way.

>> For some people it's easier to understand what it does than
>> the magic that is "asadmin start-domain".
>
> For those, we introduced a script named "startserv" that starts the default
> server and I bet 95% of these users should be happy with it.

You really have something against "java -jar", huh? :-)

Really, it's the same reason people insist on "standalone clients" instead
of app clients. They already know how to control the "java" command, how
to pass it arguments to configure it, etc., and they just want to be able
to do that rather than delegate it to some script they don't understand.

Ya, I don't really get it either, but I accept that it's true.