dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [v3] exporting all Metro packages for OSGi

From: Bill Shannon <bill.shannon_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:05:35 -0700

Richard S. Hall wrote:
> In such a future with VM support, I would say yes. This is somewhat
> ugly, but not much can be done about it. What you really want to have
> happen is that the service provider publishes their own services using a
> common Factory interface (in OSGi this could be published into the
> service registry), so that no one would ever need to know their
> implementation class, but at least if it can be limited to the
> ServiceLoader, that is better than nothing.

An advantage of ServiceLoader is that the publishing has *zero* cost.
You pay nothing until you need to use something that's been published.

My limited understanding of OSGi is that I would need to have a bundle
activator that ran code that created an instance and registered that
instance "somewhere", even if no one ever used the instance.