dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: FYI: Glassfish V3 build time: plain vs '-U'

From: Ken Cavanaugh <Ken.Cavanaugh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:33:54 -0700

Lloyd Chambers wrote:
> This might be a data point of interest to those building V3 a lot—
>
> I first did a full build to populate my local repo.
>
> Times to build:
>
> clean; mvn install : 4 minutes
> clean; mvn -U install : 21 minutes
>

> So using the '-U' option may be "expensive"...
>
> I am remote but with a 8-13 megabit connection.

I'm not surprised at the difference; mvn -U does a lot more
network accesses. This appears to be similar to the time needed
to build after removal of the local .m2 repository.

What we really need to do is get the build fixed (and how we
handle versions, and whatever else is needed) so that we almost
never need to either rm -rf ~/.m2 or use mvn -U.

Ken.