dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: v3 build

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:40:30 -0700

Lloyd Chambers wrote:
> Harsha,
>
> I expect I will need to make more HK2 changes/additions as V3
> development progresses, so this will be an ongoing issue.
I agree, but I really don't see why hk2 is special here, if artifacts
are not published to the maven repo, anyone not building the entire
source tree is in hell. if you are building the entire source tree then
create a local super pom that does hk2 and v3 compilation together.

> One option is for HK2 to become part of V3. Another is to document
> exactly what must be done for a seamless push of HK2, preferably
> automated without any voodoo.
>
> For last weekend's fun, an API (interface) change meant that HK2 and
> V3 needed to change in sync
if our tools (namely the download.java.net repo server) was working
fine, this is not as bad as you describe, I have done it many times.
The real issue is the repo fragility, since with a fragile repository,
any release is impossible, but also any snapshot is potentially outdated
creating a real threat for anyone building only a few modules for
productivity.

jerome