dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: hk2.version and hk2.plugin.version in v3/pom.xml ...

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:33:59 -0700

Lloyd Chambers wrote:
> Would making HK2 just another Glassfish module solve any issues?

I think not.
These are orthogonal issues. Whether we want hk2 separately or not
depends on whether we want others to use hk2 independent of GlassFish
v3.

Whether we want to use same version of hk2 and hk2-maven-plugin *inside
v3* is a completely v3 issue. (And this is the issue I am referring to).

> Personally I think having HK2 separate is the wrong way to go, it makes
> development difficult, and there are lots of issues with the HK2 stuff.

IMO, this is a strong statement to make and only someone who wrote or
enhanced hk2 should make it. Although there is a long way to go, there are
some beautiful constructs in hk2. Only deep understanding will reveal them,
however.

Don't get me wrong. It has its idiosyncrasies, but it's up to us to improve
them.

If you are specifically speaking of development of hk2 and its simultaneous
use within v3, speak to me offline. I can help improve your productivity. I wish
we had documented it more, but I am undertaking that task as we speak.

For starters, see Sahoo's blog and
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishDeveloperFAQ#section-GlassFishDeveloperFAQ-GlassFishV3Development

Regards,
Kedar