dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Circular build time dependency between jsp project and glassfish project

From: Kin-man Chung <Kin-Man.Chung_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:27:10 -0700

Sahoo wrote:
> Kin-man Chung wrote:
>> OK. Thanks for pointing this out to me! I'll make the change.
>>
>> But shouldn't the parent be
>>
>> org.glassfish:glassfish-parent:10.0-SNAPSHOT
>>
> That's again the same circular dependency problem in the transitive
> closure.

Right. I'll remove parent dependency then, and just use "0.3.8" for
hk2-version.

>> since that's where hk2.version is defined?
>>
>> Come to think of it, maybe the packaging for JSP project shouldn;t be
>> hk2-jar, but just jar. We should then create a JSP module in V3
>> that imports the jar and repackage it as a hk2-jar.
> The answer depends on what you want to produce? Do you want to produce
> a) HK2 module or b) OSGi bundle or c) HK2 module as well as OSGi bundle
> or d) only a plain jar file? V3 can work with #b or #c. To work with #d,
> v3 has to repackage and that is something we do not want to do.

What I want to produce depends on consumer of JSP project. It is clear
V3 wants #b or #c, but it is not clear what other web containers want.
I have a feeling Jetty may want #d.

There are already plenty of cases where V3 repackage external jars. JSF
and servlet API are some of the examples.

-Kin-man