dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request feedback on Glassfish V3 Prelude Monitoring one pager

From: Lloyd Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 18:06:52 -0700

Comments (beyond Nazrul's):

llc-01 Monitoring via JMX could happen for Prelude, but seems
"tight". JMX+Notifications should be added to the API stack in 4.1.0.

llc-02 the creation and removal and listing/status of probes should
be exposed via JMX I think. Perhaps an annotation to that effect can
be placed upon a probe. Then the GUI could easily search for and fine
all probes, as well as create and remove them.

llc-03 I'm a bit confused by section 4.1.1.5. If it is a zero
overhead system, why is the TransactionManagerImpl doing explicit
calls to onTxBegin? Or is it that this always needs to be done, and
the probe can be one of the listeners?

llc-04 The ProviderRegistry and ProbeProviderInfo looks perfect for
exposing via MBeans.

llc-05 The Stats classes as well as Maps are awkward in a CLI. Is
there a better way to expose this data?

llc-06 In 4.1.2.5, monitoring seems to be based on config dotted
names. But the components to be monitored are often runtime entities
which don't exist in config eg Servlets.

llc-07 For compatibility layer we may need "get --monitor". But the
V3 final dotted names will not distinguish that way; dotted names are
pervasive and share one hierarchy for all names.

llc-08 Packages names include "gfprobe" but others use
"flashlight". Shouldn't they share the same terminology?

Lloyd

Lloyd Chambers
lloyd.chambers_at_sun.com
GlassFish team, admin