dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request feedback on Glassfish V3 Prelude Monitoring one pager

From: Nazrul Islam <Nazrul.Islam_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:37:18 -0700

Prashanth Abbagani wrote:
> Initial draft of Monitoring one pager for V3 Prelude is available.
> Please take a took and provide feedback, comments, concerns, if any.
>
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GFV3MonitoringOnePager
Thanks for starting this thread. Here are some notes from today's review...
1) Section 4.1.2.3.3: Please ensure that the object view hierarchy is
aligned with GFv2 and the dotted names are backward compatible.
2) Section 4.1.2.5: Please ensure that monitor_type is correctly mapped
for GFv2 types also.
3) Section 4.1.2.5: asadmin set command does not work without domain.xml
persistence.
4) Section 4.12: Please specify how GFv2 monitoring levels (OFF, LOW,
HIGH) will work.
5) Please ensure that this works for both JDK 5 and JDK6.
6) Please expose the monitoring information with JMX MBeans. REST
support may come post Prelude.
7) Please check all the APIs for naming consistency and align.
8) Secion 4.1.1.1: Please specify that appName can be null.
9) Section 4.3: Please specify what is in scope for GFv3 Prelude.
10) Section 4.4: Please clearly specify what is out of scope so that
future design goals are understood.
11) Section 4.5.1.2: Do we need to expose the probe annotations
(@ProbeName, @ProbeParams, @MethodEntry) and ProbeProviderInfo?
12) Section 4.5.1.2: Is there any risk with exposing /remove/ method on
TreeNode to 3rd parties? Should we have exposed only the integration
point (example parentId)? See example at:
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GFV3PluggabilityOnePager#section-GFV3PluggabilityOnePager-4.1.1AdminConsole
13) Section 4.1.2.5: [Question] Example shows "gf:tx:*". Should the
first tupple be "gf" in the example? How does this relate to DTrace?
14) Please clarify support for JVM, JDBC, JPA, jRubby monitoring and
CallFlow support.

--
Nazrul Islam  -  (408) 276-6468  - Sun Microsystems, Inc.