dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request feedback on Glassfish V3 Prelude Monitoring one pager

From: Lloyd Chambers <Lloyd.Chambers_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:17:18 -0700

"To avoid such compatability issues in future, is it a good idea to
come up with a grammar/spec. for V3?"

Precisely. I am working on that spec (Kedar and a few others have
seen it), but it won't be for Prelude.

Lloyd

On Jul 18, 2008, at 10:09 AM, Sreenivas Munnangi wrote:

> Lloyd Chambers wrote:
>>
>> Comments on comments—
>>
>> With the structure of domain.xml changing substantially in some
>> area, combined with the lack of a grammar and aliasing, backward
>> compatibilty for dotted names should be done only as a
>> compatibility layer, and even then will have its challenges.
>>
> To avoid such compatability issues in future, is it a good idea to
> come up with a grammar/spec. for V3 ?
>> Lloyd

>>> Thanks for starting this thread. Here are some notes from today's
>>> review...
>>> 1) Section 4.1.2.3.3: Please ensure that the object view
>>> hierarchy is aligned with GFv2 and the dotted names are backward
>>> compatible.
>>> 2) Section 4.1.2.5: Please ensure that monitor_type is correctly
>>> mapped for GFv2 types also.
>>> 3) Section 4.1.2.5: asadmin set command does not work without
>>> domain.xml persistence.
>>> 4) Section 4.12: Please specify how GFv2 monitoring levels (OFF,
>>> LOW, HIGH) will work.
>>> 5) Please ensure that this works for both JDK 5 and JDK6.
>>> 6) Please expose the monitoring information with JMX MBeans. REST
>>> support may come post Prelude.
>>> 7) Please check all the APIs for naming consistency and align.
>>> 8) Secion 4.1.1.1: Please specify that appName can be null.
>>> 9) Section 4.3: Please specify what is in scope for GFv3 Prelude.