dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: btrace and dtrace

From: Mahesh Kannan <Mahesh.Kannan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:08:57 -0700

Hi Bill,

Kohsuke and I too looked into btrace.

Infact, Kohsuke and I had a discussion with Sundar too after J1 and have
metnioned some of our gprobes ideas. He also agreed that there needs to
be some changes to btrace implementation to meet some of our needs. We
can certainly use some of the ideas OR use it as an underlying farmework
(after changing it) for glassfish.

Regarding dtrace support in JDK7,
The approach mentioned in the blog
(http://blogs.sun.com/kamg/entry/announcing_statically_defined_dtrace_probes)
requires a static probe provider interface. This is exactly same as what
we are planning to do in gprobes for glassfish. We can use the same
interface (after dynamically retransforming this interface to extend
com.sun.tracing.Provider) to obtain a dtrace ProbeProvider.

Thanks,
--Mahesh