dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Review draft 2 Glass Fish v3 TP2 Release Notes

From: Paul Davies <Paul-Martin.Davies_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 21:05:16 -0700

Hi Sreeni,

Thank you for your comments, which I have processed.

My responses are inline.

> Page 3:
> The GlassFish v3 Technology Preview 2 Application Server product greatly
> simplifies the task of
> creating and administering web applications.
>
> The application server does more than webapplications, should we
> emphasize on web applications ?
DECLINE: I discussed this comment with Abhijit. He agreed that as the
focus of *TP2* is the web tier, the emphasis in these release notes
should be on web applications.

> Page 5:
> Feedback Submittal form
> (http://java.sun.com/docs/forms/J2EE14SubmittalForm.html)
>
> Pl. check the link also check other links for accuracy.
ACCEPT - In fact the link to the feedback submittal form has been
removed as it is inappropriate to the TP2 release milestone.

> Page 6:
> ¦ Glassfish Wiki: Plan for GlassFish v3
> (http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=PlanForGlassFishV3)
>
> Instead of calling 'Plan for GlassFish V3', we could say 'GlassFish V3
> Wiki', otherwise it sounds like the wiki is specific to Planning and
> there may be other page which talks about V3 itself.
ACCEPT - When I created this link, the focus of this page was GlassFish
v3 planning. Now that the focus has moved away from planning towards
GlassFish v3 generally, I have changed the text of the link.

> Page 7:
> GlassFish v3 Technology Preview 2 Application Server is a server for the
> development and deployment of web applications.
>
> As I mentioned earlier, V3 TP2 can also accomodate ejb applications, so
> specifying web applications may narrow the scope. Pl. check with Jerome.
DECLINE: For the same reasons that I declined your comment on page 3.

> Page 8:
> Scripting Language Support.
>
> Do we want to talk about other scripting languages also or just ruby.
> Refer to the following link
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ContainersConfiguration
DECLINE: From the TP2 feature list at
http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3TP2Content ,
only JRuby is listed under Scripting Support.

> Page 10:
> Disk Space
>
> GlassFish V3 TP2 doesn't need as much memory as needed by GF V2. 35 MB
> Seems high, check with QA.
DECLINE: I could not get a reliable figure. My own experiments showed
that 35 MB was more than enough, but not by much.

> Remove SDK since it is not applicable.
ACCEPT

> Page 10:
> TABLE 2–2 Default PortAssignments for GlassFish v3 Technology Preview
> 2Application Server
>
> As I know, we use 8080 for admin as well as applications. Do we need
> 8181 and 4848 ?
>
> Request Kedar/Anissa to confirm.
DISCUSS: I have removed reference to port 8080, but without any
indication about what to do about port 8181, I have left that in.

> Page 12:
> Using the Bundled Java DB Database
>
> I see a lot of discussion on Java DB including starting in network mode
> etc. Shouldn't all this be part of Java DB doc. ?
>
> Can we point instead ?
DECLINE: The information still seems to be relevant, and the pointers
to the Admin Guide provide more detail.

Regards,
--
Paul Davies, Senior Technical Writer, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
http://blogs.sun.com/techscribe/