dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: asadmin commands requires a running server

From: Arun Gupta <Arun.Gupta_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:27:01 -0700

>> Why asadmin commands require the server running ?
> because all the commands run on the server (at the exception of a few
> local command).

list-commands is listed as Local command:

-- cut here --
********** Local Commands **********
backup-domain
create-domain
delete-domain
list-commands
list-domains
restore-domain
start-database
start-domain
stop-database
stop-domain
-- cut here --

This should be listed as Remote in that case.

> why do they run on the server ? well think about jruby container which
> could ship a bunch of dedicated admin commands to manage or configure
> Rails applications. The client can talk to any installed server of
If I configure JRuby 1.1 as JRUBY_HOME then currently no additional
commands are shown. Do you mean a custom JRuby container ?

> course and because we are so extensible the client cannot know the
> capabilities on your server (did you install jruby or not, did you
> install groovy or not) so the command execution request is passed to the
> server where it it served.
>>
>> Here is the output for list-commands:
>>
>> -- cut here --
>> ~/testbed/glassfish/v3/4_28/glassfish/bin >./asadmin list-commands
>> Remote server does not listen for requests on [localhost:8080].
>> Is the server up?
>> Command list-commands failed.
>> -- cut here --
>>
>> Can anybody explain why the output of list-commands (which is most
>> likely the same list of commands everytime)
> no that's your mistake here,
Only partially cause list-commands is listed as local command ;-) You
need to fix that otherwise it'll give incorrect impressions.

> depending what you have installed on the
> server, you will get a different list.
At least I don't see that happening for a standard JRuby distribution.

>> cannot be dumped w/o server running ? I'm sure there are other
>> commands in that category.
>>
>> Also, the commands are classified as Local & Remote commands. What is
>> the difference ?
>>
> local = executed on the client (start-domain, delete-domain and other
> things that just cannot run on the server)
> remote = executed on the server.
As said above, list-commands is listed as local so that's a mistake.

-Arun