dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [v3] - some initial observations

From: paul hendley <Paul.Hendley_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 12:04:01 -0500

Hi Jerome.

Thanks for the feedback.
Also, I didn't mention it last time but I am using
glassfish-v3-preview2-b03.

I have a couple follow up items below.

>> The problems I encountered seemed as if the jar files I was putting
>> into the AS_HOME/domains/domain1/lib/ext directory were not being
>> picked up.
>> Is this no longer the place to put the extension libraries? Or could
>> there be a problem with this directory not being used right now?
>
> right, we don't support the launcher functionalilties like we used to
> yet. so the only way to make this work is to apply the same solution
> than for endorsed The property is named -Djava.ext.dirs.

I tried using the -Djava.ext.dirs=... as suggested above.
The result seems the same - classes contained in my
AS_HOME/domains/domain1/lib/ext were still being ignored.

If I manually copied classes that I needed from my lib/ext/*.jar files
directly into:
AS_HOME/domains/domain1/applications/my_web_app/WEB-INF/classes/
...then I could get around the ClassNotFoundException.

Worth mentioning:
I had to copy the classes directly into the my_web_app/WEB-INF/classes/
dir. If I tried to put the *.jar files into the my_web_app/WEB-INF/lib
directory - that did not seem to work. (I was under impression it should
have worked but I could be mistaken.)

One other thing I am noticing, when I tried to turn on additional
logging levels by changing the logging levels (in domain.xml) from INFO
to FINE, it didn't appear to make any noticeable difference. Is there
another way to specify additional logging info?

thanks,
-paul