dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: [v3] - some initial observations

From: Jerome Dochez <Jerome.Dochez_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:25:22 -0800

Thanks for taking the time to write these observations, see my answers
in line

yes look at http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=CLICommandsForGlassFishV3TP2

> 2. I don't see a GUI yet, and since there appears to be no support
> for
> adding a new user on the command line, I'm curious to know how (or
> if) we can manage users for now.
so far there is nothing to help you. Although the security folks might
correct me, I would try to copy a pre-populated (with V2) password
file and it might work.

> 3. Regarding security, is it disabled and not supported for this
> particular v3 release? Or should we expect it to be there and
> enabled. Right now, I'm curious about support for security realms,
> support for JSR-196, and support for JSR-115.
There is already preliminary support for security, is there something
in particular that is not working. We plan to support security in
WebTier for the TP-2 Release

> 4. In JavaEE/GF v2, there was the idea of the all encompassing
> javaee.jar file. This used to contain all classes and made it much
> easier when doing things like testing so that we don't need to
> manually
> go through and start adding many (30, 40, ???) individual jar files
> to our various test classpaths. Will there be something similar to
> javaee.jar or is that not going to happen for v3?
there is a javaee-5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar that has a classpath attribute to
all the Java EE Apis.

> While we're talking about jar files, I noticed everything was moved
> from
> AS_HOME/lib/*.jar to AS_HOME/modules/*.jar. Is this temporary?
no it will stay like this. In V2, people used to be able to place jar
files in the lib directory and they would be picked up automatically.
We retain that feature in V3 but we start with an empty directory as
those jars will be visible by any V3 module.

> 5. Will there still be an endorsed dir in v3 and if so will it be
> in the same place? (eg AS_HOME/lib/endorsed)
> (Doc seemed to indicate this would be the case but I figured I'd
> confirm it.)
this will be supported (we need to revive the launcher, someone is
working on it right now). If you need to enable endorsed, for now, you
need to set it on the java invocation when starting the server :

        java -Djava.endorsed.dirs=... -jar glassfish-10.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

> 6. GF V2 had some default templates (in AS_HOME/lib/install/
> templates )
> I don't see these anymore, will these eventually be there in v3?

this will be supported once we have the ability to create domain in
V3, which is not the case yet

> 7. I manually deployed my jars (I tried deploying using both the
> autodeploy dir and the manual "asadmin deploy" command). Regardless
> of which way I deployed, I was having some problems which I did not
> used to have in v2 and it made me question if the extension lib dir
> was working okay.
>
> The problems I encountered seemed as if the jar files I was putting
> into the AS_HOME/domains/domain1/lib/ext directory were not being
> picked up.
> Is this no longer the place to put the extension libraries? Or
> could there be a problem with this directory not being used right now?
right, we don't support the launcher functionalilties like we used to
yet. so the only way to make this work is to apply the same solution
than for endorsed The property is named -Djava.ext.dirs.