dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: list-applications VS list-components

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:14:55 -0700

Jerome Dochez wrote:
> Jane Young wrote:
>> Hi, Jerome.
>>
>> I added the list-components command and display the warning message in
>> list-applications since we didn't want to support two commands that do
>> the same thing. To be compatible with v2, we need to have the
>> list-components command. But since there may be confusion with add-on
>> components, maybe we should deprecate list-components command and
>> officially support list-applications command instead of displaying a
>> warning message that this command will be removed. What do you think?
> that's not really what I was suggesting, I think it's fine to keep
> list-components as experienced glassfish users will rely on its existence.
>>
>> The ListApplicationsCommand.java is actually calling
>> ListComponentsCommand.java so there is no duplicate code. I think
>> adding @Alias would be nice.
>>
>> Kedar, Bryon and I actually came up with a proposal to allow user to
>> create command aliasing using asadmin. See:
>> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=ProvidingScriptsInBinFolder2HideDomains#section-ProvidingScriptsInBinFolder2HideDomains-CommandAliasing
>>
> this is interesting apart from the fact it is stored on the local file
> system. I see not good reason for that...
>
> I think the two proposals are complementing each others, my way is a
> System way of defining aliases, your proposal is a user/installation way
> of customizing commands. I think we could do both very easily.

Yes, I agree. We should be able to register the *same command code*
in different names. Since we might have multiple names, I suggest
@Alias to accept a single alias or an array of aliases.

Jane, I will work with you to fix list-components to be aliased
as list-applications.

The only "issue" I see is the aliases quickly become the "interfaces"
of the product and we have to support them as server interface.

If people agree, we can make this change and abide by the names.

- Kedar