dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish v3 gem - now at rubyforge

From: Stephen Bannasch <stephen.bannasch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 15:00:20 -0500

At 7:38 AM -0500 2/8/08, Arun Gupta wrote:
>A newer and more improved GlassFish v3 gem is available at RubyForge (home for commonly used Ruby gems). Here are the key features:

Caveat: my background is mostly in Ruby.

I'm impressed it was so easy to get running.

I am also impressed that all the required jars were included in the gem and that the modules dir with these jars only took 2.3 MB.

I wondered when I saw that the dtds and schemas in the lib dir took 2.1 MB -- then realized that at least the schemas included a bunch of documentation.

I'm using jruby trunk on MacOS 10.4.11.

It took about 35s to startup.

I'd love a quick way to understand more about why glassfish is cool in the same manner that you presented for trying out the gem.

For me that doesn't mean reading lots of stuff -- it means trying and doing lost of stuff and then reading more after I creatively break it.

Beinging able to install the gem and try it on an existing rails app working in jruby in about 10 minutes is great.

In some of the screen shots I've seen of glassfish in the past there seemed to be some pretty gui admin interfaces. It wasn't immediately obvious whether those capabilities were installed when I installed the gem.

Looking around a bit I found asadmin and tried:

$ asadmin list-applications
/Users/stephen/dev/jruby_trunk/jruby/bin/asadmin:19: /Users/stephen/dev/jruby_trunk/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/GlassFish-0.1.0-java/bin/asadmin:2: , unexpected tDOT2 (SyntaxError)

        from /Users/stephen/dev/jruby_trunk/jruby/bin/asadmin:19:in `load'
        from /Users/stephen/dev/jruby_trunk/jruby/bin/asadmin:19

Looking around a bit more I found the admin-listener:

  http://localhost:4848/

Which reported this:

"To replace this page, overwrite <install_dir>/domains/<domain_name>/docroot/index.html, where <install_dir> is the Application Server installation directory, and <domain_name> is the domain name (for example, domain1).

More Information: For more information about the Application Server, samples, documentation, and additional resources, see <install_dir>/docs/about.html, where <install_dir> is the Application Server installation directory."

But this admin web app didn't seem to do anything else. I was hoping it might at least display the docs:

  http://localhost:4848/docs/about.html

No luck. The startup log reported this:

Feb 8, 2008 2:37:46 PM com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.VsAdapter service
INFO: No adapter registered for : /docs/about.html
Feb 8, 2008 2:38:22 PM com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.VsAdapter service
INFO: No adapter registered for : /docs/about.html

Here's why I tried out GlassFish.

I'd like to create an easily deployable Java application that would combine

* 2 or 3 web applications (2 ROR and the web start servlet)
* jruby
* Embedded Mozilla XUL rendering in Swing, see:
    http://confluence.concord.org/display/MZSW/Home)
* embedded Java DB (Derby, HSQLDB)
* a whole bunch of heterogeneous java components that can be easily assembled into composite applications/activities, see:
   https://confluence.concord.org/display/CSP/OTrunk

I'm pretty close to getting this working as an application. Then I'd like to be able to deploy this via web start.

I am able to deploy jruby gems like hpricot that have embedded java jars via web start (on jruby trunk).

Right now I am not able to deploy parts of rails/mongrel via web start because not all of the File I/O operations that ruby programs do when loading and running each other work when the code is still embedded in a jar file.

This could be fixed in JRuby or I could use the approach that jrubygems takes and expand the jars with ruby code to the file system.

Perhaps deploying with GlassFish as the web container system would work better.
--
- Stephen Bannasch
  Concord Consortium, http://www.concord.org