dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: lib/install/templates

From: Dinesh Patil <Dinesh.Patil_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:57:15 -0700

Bill Shannon wrote:

> Dinesh Patil wrote:
>
>> This is the subtle difference documented on the glassfish build
>> instructions.
>>
>> https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/BuildGlassFish.html#maven_goals
>> Goal Name
>> Commonly used command
>> Description
>> bootstrap
>> maven -Dmodules=admin bootstrap checkout build
>> Dowload glassfish-image-SNAPSHOT.jar file and unzip the file under
>> the ${glassfish.home}(Server Image) to build individual modules
>> bootstrap-all
>> maven checkout bootstrap-all build
>> Install an empty glassfish image that only contains the binaries
>> dependencies, then download individual binary dependencies and unzip
>> them into ${glassfish.home} and builds all modules from Sources.
>>

> Interesting. Can't the behavior of "bootstrap" change based on
> whether "modules" is
> set to less than all the modules, or based on whether the workspace
> contains less
> than all the modules?

no that's not the purpose of these targets.

> I guess the assumption is that, with bootstrap, some files will be
> replaced as part
> of the build so it doesn't matter if the snapshot contains old
> versions of them,
> but if you're building all modules you don't need any old versions of
> the files
> so it's better to get a clean build using bootstrap-all.

Actually above two targets are for 2 different developers, bootstrap is
for developer who want to take pre-built server and wants to make only
changes in their module. So this type will pickup this pre-built server
and apply only their changes.
while bootstrap-all will do it from fresh, build from source for nightly
builds to create everything from scratch..
thanks
Dinesh