dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling Glassfish in Eclipse

From: Markus KARG <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 08:41:10 +0200

> For most of my CVS work, I use a tool called Tortoise that I
> downloaded: http://www.tortoisecvs.org/. If you use Windows, it might
> be helpful to you.
I'm using SuSE Linux and there is no TortoiseCVS for that AFAIK.
I am used to have CVS things done by Eclipse, but this didn't work
correctly when I tried to do it in August (maybe it will work now, I
don't know).
> I run my update from my base directory. (In my case: c:/cvsworkspace)
>
> To update entity-persistence, I do the following:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:tware_at_localhost:/cvs update glassfish/entity-persistence
ok, seems to have the same effect than just doing cvs up inside of the
entity-persistence folder (there's nothing to update, so it does
nothing, looks quite correct).
> The "-d :pserver:tware_at_localhost:/cvs" part of the command allows me
> to connect through a tunnel I have setup to access the server from
> within my company's firewall.
no problem, I do not run a company firewall but a simple NAT router plus
my local laptop's firewall, so cvs worked well already.
>> ok, so I'll never cd into that bootstrap folder anymore
> I usually do the bootstrap step every few days when I am working.
> That guarantees all the dependancies are updated to the latest build.
I wonder why this is necessary. I always thought the idea of maven is to
know of dependencies and care for that automatically?
>>> - entity-persistence-tests = the testing module
>> Well... there is no workspace/glassfish/entity-persistence-tests module
>> actually. I have built Glassfish, but it didn't create such a folder.
>> What to do now?
> Sorry, not enough detail on my part. The testing modules are not part
> of the initial build or check-out. To get them:
>
> Once again from my base folder (c:/cvsworkspace):
>
> cvs -d :pserver:tware_at_localhost:/cvs update
> glassfish/entity-persistence-tests
> and
> cvs -d :pserver:tware_at_localhost:/cvs update glassfish/appserv-tests
>
> After they are initially checked out, you should be able to operate on
> them with "cvs update"
As Dinesh and you corrected later, I did not update but checkout.

BTW, even with Dinesh's corrections, trying to use "localhost" will not
work anyways, since I do not have a repository on my local machine. So I
had to check the java.net web site to look for the correct URL. After I
applied that, I finally was able to do the needed checkouts. Since the
Glassfish team surely will collect my notes for a complete and correct
starter's guide, here is what actually has to be done:

markus_at_localhost:~/workspace> cvs -d
:pserver:markuskarg_at_cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs checkout
glassfish/entity-persistence-tests

markus_at_localhost:~/workspace> cvs -d
:pserver:markuskarg_at_cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs checkout glassfish/appserv-tests

Both commands needed a while to download, but now I have both folders. :-)
> Please let me know the next time you get stuck,
> Tom
You can be assured of me doing that. ;-)