dev@glassfish.java.net

Re: Compiling Glassfish in Eclipse

From: Tom Ware <tom.ware_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:27:55 -0400

Hi Markus,

  Here is what I do when I want to make changes to the
entity-persistence module (I think that was your goal):

1. Update the Snapshot (in English: get the latest build and put it
where the build expects it to be.) To do this, I do the following:

- checkout the glassfish/bootstrap directory from cvs
- From that directory: maven bootstrap {That downloads the latest
snapshot and puts it in the right place}
- note: I don't even do a full glassfish build. entity-persistence is
quite isolated from the rest of GlassFish.

2. Update entity-persistence, entity-persistence-tests and appserv-tests
from CVS
- entity-persistence = the source for the module
- entity-persistence-tests = the testing module
- appserv-tests = the appserver's quicklook tests. They are a
prerequisite for check-in

3. Make my changes in the entity-persistence module and compile them:
- maven clean
- maven build
- I assume basic maven commands are running since you say you can do a
full build

4. Add any tests I need to the testing module and compile them:
- maven clean
- maven build

5. Run the entity-persistence-tests
- Some small amount of configuration and an ant task
- If you get this far, let me know and I should be able to get you going
quite quickly

6. Request a code review (entity-persistence fixes are usually reviewed
by either Gordon Yorke - gyorke_at_dev.java.net or myself) Code reviews
requests should be sent to persistence_at_dev.java.net

7. Run the QuickLook tests
- One of the Sun folks can probably help you with that better than me,
but if you get stuck I'll gladly tell you how I am configured

8. Check in

I'll gladly help you with any of these steps, just send me an email,
Tom

--
Tom Ware
Principal Software Engineer